18 January 2009

Top Ten Wine O'clock in 2008

Last year, I posted my top ten Australian wines of 2007, which put me in the firing line for a lot of comic relief, as when my list was referred to, sarcastic undertones predominated. Admittedly I am not a wine diva, more of a foodie than a sommelier; my husband is more of a sommelier than a foodie. As we attempt to become better on both the foodie and the sommelier fronts, we have decided to retire his blog and come together under the Chokecherry Pancakes banner, matching food with wine, wine with food, capturing our wine drinking ways. Look forward to Steven's posts - he is passionate about wine and pursues his hobby like a professional. He has even given himself the title of "Corkmaster", story to follow later I am sure.

On a personal note, I am still drinking more white wine than red, and this past year I have started to enjoy champagne and sparkling wine, which is something worth celebrating. When I drink red wine, it is usually to mark a momentous occasion or is chosen specifically to match with food. Because it is not too often that I dip my toes in our vat of red wine, when I do, very nice wines are consumed (as you will note from my list of red wines).

In the spirit of keeping my list alive, I will attempt to capture the year in wine as a reluctant punter - here it is, the 2008 rendition of my favorite Australian wines.

Whites:
O'Leary Walker Polish Hill River Riesling 2008
Grosset Springvale Watervale Riesling 2008
Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2005
Leeuwin Estate Art Series Riesling 2008
Yeringberg Chardonnay 2006

Reds:
Rockford Basket Press Shiraz 2005
Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier 2005
Katnook Estate Odyssey Cabernet Sauvignon 2002
Stonier KBS Pinot Noir 2004
Torbreck Struie Shiraz 2005

Enjoy!

Stumble It! Fark It Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Jay Kirby said...

Looks so tasty. Thanks for such a great recipe. Can't wait to try it.