25 December 2008

Frozen Raspberry Makes Ripe Return

I have been in a little bit of a rut lately, where new recipes are seldom, and if I have ventured into the "white space" abyss, I have been unable to photograph, let alone post my epicurious adventures. The back half of 2008 turned out to be a tumultuous time for me personally, but I am giddy and gleeful with the new year imminent. As I kiss 2008 good-bye, it is rather difficult not to have a permanent smile on my face at present - we are surrounded by loving friends and family, back in the deep freeze that is home - Canada, and at the most wonderful time of the year - Christmas.

We attempted to climatise and brave ourselves for the Saskatchewan winter with a short stint skiing in Whistler en route to the "land of the living skies". In Whistler, zero degrees seemed cold, but the retail therapy quickly warmed us up, not to mention the skiing itself. As luck would have it, when we touched down in Saskatchewan, rugged up in our new winter gear, Jack Frost was truly nipping at our toes ... the temperature was minus 55°C with the wind chill. Temperatures have hovered around minus 25°C ever since, but the next few days should see things change to a balmy minus 8°C. I feel like a typical Canadian chirping on about the weather, but how can you not? I cannot count how many times we have been asked with a smirk, "Is it cold enough for ya?". On the positive side, I have been able to get my hands dirty in the kitchen with an eager sous chef (my mother) and an audience that is always up for something new and different.

From Donna Hay's Instant Entertaining, this brownie recipe (titled Raspberry-Spiked Chocolate Brownies) is my favorite brownie recipe so far - absolutely rich chocolate, colliding with the sweetness of ripe raspberries. Served warm accompanied by a little dollop of ice cream and a big glass of red wine, the flavours really come alive. Make this your next happily ever after!

Ingredients & Preparation:

200 grams (7 ounces) dark chocolate, chopped (I use Lindt 75% cocoa)
250 grams (8 ounces) butter
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
1 1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen*
* If using frozen raspberries there is no need to defrost them first. You can also use fresh or frozen blueberries.

Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Place in a bowl with the sugar and eggs. Sift over the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix to combine. Pour into a 23 cm (9 inch) greased square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Top the mixture with the raspberries and bake for 30–35 minutes or until set. Serve warm or cold with thick (double) cream or vanilla bean ice-cream.

Bon Appetit!

Stumble It! Fark It Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Poker Blinds said...

The authoritative answer, curiously...