01 June 2008

Apple Crumble Meets Cinnamon Twist and it is Happily Ever After Apple Pie

For someone who claims not to be a dessert aficionado, I certainly am blogging like one. My last post was a recipe for Cinnamon Twists, a childhood favorite. Even though I halved the original recipe, I still felt like it was too much for two people so I ended up saving about half the dough. The vision was to make my first pie. So here it is, my very first pie! This is somewhat of a deviation from a traditional pie crust, but it was my own experiment, and it seemed to work. With my faithful family cookbook at my side, I was able to dig out one of my submissions for Apple Crumble, which was the inspiration for the Apple Pie filling. I was fourteen when the recipe was submitted, and it seems as though most of my specialties at that time were in fact desserts. In any case, as it turns out, a Cinnamon Twist can meet an Apple Crumble and live happily ever after.

When serving, remember that apple pie and ice cream are synonymous! One indulgence can't go without the other.

Ingredients & Preparation:

Pastry Dough:
1 1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
115 g (1/4 lb) butter

Apple Filling: 5-7 apples, sliced and diced into cubes
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Divide pastry dough in to two equal balls. Sprinkle a little flour on a clean surface, and roll one of the pastry dough balls until thin and round, and large enough to fit over a pie plate. Move the circle of flattened dough to a greased pie plate, and press in to the dish gently.

Add sliced apples on top of the first layer of pastry. Mix cinnamon and white sugar, then sprinkle over the apples. Crumble butter, flour and brown sugar together, then top the apples with this mixture.

Roll the second ball of pastry with the same technique as the first ball. When thin and round, gently place on top of the pie plate and apple mixture. Squeeze the dough together around the top of the dish, pinching both layers of pastry together, all the way around.

Place a few slits in the top of the pastry with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture again if desired.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden brown. Slice and serve warm with ice cream.

Bon Appetit!

Stumble It! Fark It Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Hetal said...

Wow...this is a lovely recipe.you have a nice blog..would ove to see u on my blog