06 May 2008

My Top 10 in Australian Wine 2007

A wine aficianado I am, but a wine snob I am not. I don't pretend to know a lot about wine, but I do know what I like, which tends to evolve with time. In 2007, I continue to favour Rieslings from the Clare and Eden Valleys. I am reluctant to say that I am even starting to enjoy an aged Chardonnay, but I would prefer to drink them blindfolded as I detest the electric yellow characteristic of the wine. I also enjoy a Viognier from time to time - and for some reason, always radiate toward this wine in the Qantas Club. I am fortunate enough to be married to the self-titled "Corkmaster",who goes above and beyond to ensure our wine collection is growing faster than our wine consumption. I am often greeted by surprise packages which mysteriously seem to get delivered to his office, and once in awhile even make their way home. With an expensive palate and a rule that Sunday nights are all about indulging in premium wines, we have explored the gamut in red wine, however there are a few wines that stand out above the rest, and obviously several more we would like to try, time and budget permitting.

So, here it is, my favorite wines of 2007, better late than never.

Whites:
Jacob's Creek Orlando Steingarten Riesling 2006
Jim Barry Watervale Riesling 2006 / 2007
Pikes 'Traditionale' Riesling 2007
Grosset 'Polish Hill' Riesling 2007
Clonakilla Viognier 2006

Reds:
Rockford Basket Press Shiraz 2004
St Hallett Old Block Shiraz 2004
Penfold's Bin 407 Cabernet 1994
Lakes Folly Cabernet 2002
Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet 2005

As you may have noted from the above list, my taste tends to get more expensive over time. I blame it on the "Corkmaster". His love for red wine matches my love for Christian Louboutin Shoes .... both passions are intertwined with a lot of red "sole".

Stumble It! Fark It Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Shirty said...

Have you had the '07 Clonakilla Viognier? Any thoughts on how it compares to the '06?