06 May 2008

Comfortable Carrot Soup

Home cooked soup is the ultimate in comfort food, especially in this cold and drizzly Melbourne weather. Nursing a nasty cold, I have found it therapeutic to prepare the soup and even more so eating it. I am hoping this remedies my cold, along with a lot of Vitamin C. Served with warm, crusty bread, the soup really becomes a meal. I have looked to perfect this soup, and on my third go, I think I have finally got there!

Ingredients & Preparation:

50-80g unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
6-8 garlic cloves
700g organic carrots, peeled and grated (about 4 very large carrots)
1.5L chicken stock
1 tbsp chopped parsley stalks
Chopped parsley leaves to garnish
Juice of 1 large orange
150ml thickened cream to serve

Heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring for 2-3 minutes until opaque. Add grated carrot and stir well, ensuring all ingredients are coated in the butter. Pour 1 litre (4 cups) of chicken stock over the carrots. Add parsley stalks. Reduce heat, stir frequently, and simmer on low for 1 hour.

Remove pot from heat. Allow mixture to cool slightly. Then, blend soup in a food processor or blender, until silky smooth. Add additional stock if too thick, and stir through. Add orange juice and season with ground black pepper and sea salt. Gently reheat the soup.

Once the soup has reheated, spoon into bowls and garnish with cream and parsley. Enjoy this hearty and comfortable meal!

Bon Appetit!

Stumble It! Fark It Share on Facebook

1 comment:

drewyn said...

Hey Natasha,
Started making up this soup last night but unfortunately had an entire bottle of wine in me by then >_< When cooking and drinking, I almost always end up using twice the recommended dosage of garlic .. Not usually a problem though, but will report back ..
Anyhow, added fresh oj this arvo and will be serving to my better half this evening (post-dog park outing) once I score some crusty bread.
Thanks as always for sharing your cooking adventures ~ I figure if I stay a few weeks behind then we'll always have something new to try!