16 May 2008

Sweet Baby Cakes

My husband calls me sweetie. I don't even have a sweet tooth. Not until now.

This recipe was suggested to me by a friend, who described these cakes as: "THE BEST lemon cakes I have ever had (I'm not lying). They are unbelievably moist. I can't describe how heavenly they are. You MUST try them They are super easy and you only have to dirty two bowls and a spoon! Amazing!" I think you would agree that after an introduction like that, this recipe really peaked my curiosity. The recipe is from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. I don't actually own this book, but may have to add it to my collection. Nigella titles the recipe Baby Bundts.

I decided to try the Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting instead of Nigella's frosting (which is simply icing sugar and lemon juice). This was not to undermine Nigella or my friend, but because I had another friend who was making the cupcakes of Sex and the City fame for a baby shower, and again my interest was tweaked. The photos of these cupcakes look amazing, and I wanted to taste at least half of what they were about - the frosting.

Ingredients & Preparation: Baby Bundts

125ml (1/2 cup) natural yogurt
75g (1/3 cup) butter, melted
2 large eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
150g (2/3 cup) plain flower
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
Pinch of salt
125g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
6 ramekins, 1 mini bundt tray with 6 moulds or a regular muffin pan

Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Mix yoghurt, melted butter, eggs and lemon zest in a small bowl. Mix flour, bicarb soda, salt and sugar in a separate bowl. Fold wet ingredients into dryingredients. Bake at 25-30 minutes or less if you are using smaller pans. I actually baked at 150 degrees Celsius as I have a convection oven.

Ingredients & Preparation: Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter
4-5 cups confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Bon Appetit!

Stumble It! Fark It Share on Facebook

2 comments:

Julie said...

So delicious! The combination of the lemon cakes and vanilla ice cream was refreshing. I do have quite the sweet tooth, and these were so good!

Julie said...

Oops, I meant vanilla icing!